This Auto Mechanic online job description template is optimized for posting online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Auto Mechanic responsibilities include:
They scrutinize vehicle engines and mechanical/electrical components to diagnose issues accurately.
scrutinizing vehicle computer and electronic systems to repair, maintain and upgrade
Conducting routine maintenance work aiming at vehicle functionality and longevity
We are looking for a skilled Auto Mechanic to maintain and repair vehicles. You will be responsible for troubleshooting and fixing issues, aiming for maximum reliability and functionality.
An excellent auto mechanic has good eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. They are well-versed in complex mechanical or electronic systems of vehicles and have exceptional problem-solving abilities. They must also be good communicators to provide advice to customers.
Auto Mechanic Responsibilities
- Inspect vehicle engines and mechanical/electrical components to diagnose issues accurately.
- Inspect vehicle computer and electronic systems to repair, maintain and upgrade
- Conduct routine maintenance work (replacing fluids, lubricating parts etc.) aiming at vehicle functionality and longevity
- Schedule future maintenance sessions and advise motorists on good vehicle use
- Repair or replace broken or dysfunctional parts and fix issues (e.g. leaks)
- Provide accurate estimates (cost, time, effort) for a repair or maintenance job
- Keep logs of work and issues.
Maintain equipment and tools in good condition
skills and Requirements
- Proven experience as an auto mechanic
- Excellent knowledge of mechanical, electrical and electronic components of vehicles
- Working knowledge of vehicle diagnostic systems and methods
- Ability to handle various tools (e.g. pliers) and heavy equipment (e.g. lift)
- Excellent physical condition
- A high school diploma is preferred; Certification from a vocational school or completion of an apprenticeship to preferred
- Valid certification (e.g. ASE) is a definite plus.
Usually asked questions
1. What does an Auto Mechanic do?
Auto Mechanics provide repairs to customer vehicles when brought into the repair shop. Auto Mechanics work on everything from engines, belts, transmissions, and brakes.
2. What are the responsibilities of an Auto Mechanic?
An Auto Mechanic fixes vehicles and replaces their parts for customers. Their duties include repairing the vehicle’s mechanical components, diagnosing problems with cars/ trucks and performing maintenance work on them.
3. Who does an Auto Mechanic work?
Auto Mechanics work with other repair departments or automobile dealership staff to complete necessary repairs. Typically, Auto Mechanics report to a lead mechanic who works directly with customers, but sometimes Auto Mechanics must communicate with customers before, during and after repairs are completed.